Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Teaching Through Song in the World Language Classroom




Inspiring a love for language through music is one of my favorite aspects of teaching. Seeing a student's face light up when they love a new beat, hearing students singing the new week's Spanish song together in the hallway, or hearing a soft chorus of students singing the song word-for-word during a song exam is a sign that students have really grasped a love of the song, and in doing so, a love for the language itself. 

In my third year of teaching, and first year teaching in Baltimore, I found my classroom lacking in the joy and excitement that I hoped my language classroom would have. The first song I taught to my students, "Amor de Mis Amores" by Natalia LaFourcade, revolutionized my classroom. I felt that my students had a new sense of joy and excitement for the day's lesson, that this warm-up procedure (detailed in my next post) was able to bring to the classroom. 






Teaching language through song is more than just a tool in a teacher's tool box. Music in the target language gives the teacher a chance to connect with a student over a shared interest, and a chance for the student to memorize poetry that they may not have memorized.





Although I strive to add new songs to my repertoire each year, each year the classic "Amor de Mis Amores" by Natalia LaFourcade tops the class list as a favorite that is shared by all students. This week, students were to chose to vote for our new class song from four selections, and students chose the modern classic "Bailando" by Gente de Zona and Descemer Bueno. I've taught this song for four years now, but it was no surprise that it is still a favorite!
Just today, I made our new song warm-up for the Prince Royce single "La Carretera", that I know my students will love just as much as I do. I can't wait to share it with them tomorrow!


Please visit my following posts to see my song warm-up resources and exams. I hope you find them as useful and exciting for your classroom as I have!




No comments:

Post a Comment