Friday, January 27, 2017

How to teach "La Carretera" by Prince Royce

Along with a professional development day at school comes a bit more energy to blog about things that I love! I love music and I love Spanish, and sharing these passions with my students is, for me, one of the great joys of teaching.




A favorite artist of mine, and of my students, is the famous crooner Prince Royce and his bachata ballads. Royce is a 27 year old who grew up in the Bronx with Spanish-speaking parents, and his bachata tunes are incredibly catchy. One of my favorite aspects of teaching Royce's songs is also teaching students basic bachata moves to go along with the music. His songs are meant for dancing, and teaching the basics of bachata is a great way to help students engage with the beat, language and culture of his tunes. I usually teach the bachata around "Day 8" of the song cycle, before the exam, to promote engagement in the tune and encourage studying for the exam the next day.

I love to show students the introduction to bachata dance from HowCast found at this link below:

http://tinyurl.com/bachataintroduction


As well as this link, while students try out the dance for themselves:

http://tinyurl.com/bachatabasics


I have posted my resources for "La Carretera" by Prince Royce on the links found below. 



The instructions for the eight-day warm-up cycle can be found in the following post.


To see the Song Warm-Up resource, please follow this link on my TpT page.


To see the Song Exam resource, please follow this link on my TpT page.


No comments:

Post a Comment